Monday, March 02, 2009

"do you like pina coladas and comics on wednesday?"

So, I'm signing up for one of those online dating sites. You know the type. Everyone loves long walks on the beach, spending time with their family, walking their dog, etc. The pictures are too small.
I get to the part where I'm supposed to describe myself, and I never know what to say. There should be a rule about this, "never let someone with low self esteem describe himself or sell himself at job interviews".
I mean, why the hell do you think I'm still working retail?
When I try to put all the facts of my life down on paper it just sounds depressing. So I go on the the next part of it "who are looking for?"
To some guys, this is pretty much a no brainer. They have a whole shopping list. A male friend of mine once told me "beggars can't be choosers". I wondered if I'm the one with hat in hand and I'd be lucky to find someone. Anyone.
I fell into that trap once before, made a bad decision out of desperation. Basically sold myself short and paid for it in all the misery that happened afterward. I've told myself I won't let it happen again.
'Course this doesn't help me fill out this goddamn form now does it?
Hmmm, let's try this:
"Wanted: Geeky, Smart Female.
Preferably sane (or reasonably so) and emotionally stable (or reasonably so). Neither morbidly obese nor anorexic (Someone who looks better than I do in a bikini).  Sense of humor a must. Must love comics, movies, scifi, and sex."
It's a little rough, but it just might work. As for who I am? I'm still working on it...

D-


No comments: